Thursday 26 February 2015

//COTTON CAROLYN PAJAMAS


Firstly, can I just say I never imagined photographing myself in my pajamas and then posting said photos to the internet. But, then again, I’ve never had pajamas as snazzy as this. My prior sleeping attire consisted almost entirely of band tee shirts. So it was very exciting when Heather released her Carolyn Pajama pattern, and excellent timing as I’d just moved to Wellington, which has a decidedly colder climate than I’m used to, and requires warmer sleepwear.

Pattern

I love this pattern. I like the different options it gives, and it’s classic with a really nice shape to it. 
And then there’s the piping! Phwoar!

I chose to make the long sleeved top with shorts and I’m tempted to also make a matching pair of pants for when it gets colder.

I found the pattern to run a little on the small side, but to be fair I do have a peculiar pear-shaped body. I used the measurement chart and cut the top in a size 6 and initially cut out the shorts pattern in a size 8. I made the top up first and it fitted nicely across the shoulder but was a little tight across the hips so I narrowed the seam to 5mm from the waist to hem on the side seams. I then got a little nervous about using an 8 for the shorts so recut the pattern as a size 12. When I made these up they were a bit tight so I narrowed the seams as much as possible at the side, centre back, and crotch seams. They’re still a little more snug than I’d like but I’m pretty happy with the fit.


Other alterations I made were to lengthen the shorts by 1cm and I added piping to the pocket edge. I’m still tossing up about whether or not to add three buttons to the faux fly (read: I will when I can be bothered).

I toyed with shortening the cuffs as they cover most of my hands, but I’m glad I didn’t. They’ve got a cosy pajama vibe. However, if I was to make an outside-wear version I think I would shorten them.

Sewing

This was my first time working with piping and I’m really pleased with the results. I ended up making around six metres of piping, which involved a few fabric strips cut on the bias (not fun) and initially my stitching line was miles from the piping cord. Once I stitched it to the fabric however, it came out ok. There are a couple of places where it’s not totally pucker-free but it’s not really noticeable.

The topstitching around the piping looks pretty puckered and a bit shonky in these photos but I’m attributing that to that fact they’d just come out of the dryer when I took these photos and they may have shrunk slightly. I’ve since worn them and they’ve gone back to normal!

Fabric

The fabric is an almost-brushed cotton from the Fabric Store. I snapped it up when they had 50% off so I think it was down to $10 a metre. It’s lovely and warm and I love navy so it was ideal for my needs. I looked at white piping but in the end decided on pink. I got the piping fabric and cord from Spotlight. The fabric is a cheap poly satin but it keeps snagging on everything so next time I might go with a cotton for the piping.

Next time:

-          I will go up a size for the shorts and add 1cm onto the side seam of the top so the fit is spot on
-          Lengthen the shorts by a centimetre or two
-          Maybe raise the top buttonhole by an inch. I have no bust to speak of so the neckline's a little low for me (and yes, I should have checked this before sewing my buttonholes)
-          I considered monogramming my initials onto the pockets in pink after I made the top up. I decided against it though, because I thought it may look a bit cramped with the pocket being split into two parts. Next time I’ll omit the piping and maybe have it along the outside of the pocket instead to frame the monogramming.
-          When summer next rolls around - in approximately nine whole months - I’m definitely making a silk pair. Pale pink with navy piping? Printed crepe de chine? I’m getting excited already...

Wearability

I desperately need another pair already so I can stop wearing these so often! They’re lovely and warm and look too nice to just be wearing to bed. I’m certainly tempted by Heather’s suggestion to make a silk set for outside wear. Or I was thinking of making the collar point a bit more square to lessen to pajama connotations and making the top into a blouse. Either way, this project has made me realise I need more piping in my life! I am a little worried I’ll end up looking like an extra in a cowboy movie. I guess white with black piping is a good start? And omitting any fringing and yoke will certainly help! 

As a coincidence, a few days after I finished my pair, I stumbled across this set from NZ label Lonely Hearts. They are amazing but cost a small fortune ($415). Admittedly, I felt rather smug when I totalled mine at a mere $35 (yay for handmade stuff and the $$ saved). I may just keep a sneaky eye out for a similar floral print for the future though, it makes for quite a different look.

Source
UPDATE: Lonely have done a navy set very similar to mine, they used cream piping though. In my opinion, their neckline looks a little too high.  (or am I secretly just envious)

Anyway, I guess this means that for once in my life I’m bang on trend?!

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous jammies! I love the pale pink with the navy, so pretty. I saw that ad in the paper too, it made me laugh. Who says sewing can't sometimes save you money?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, $400 for a pair of pajamas - if only more people knew how to sew!

      Delete
  2. Hey there, these are tres cute! I like your other things too - how awesome is the Fabric Store - we have one in Melbourne and I waste countless hours doing laps and stroking lovely things. Good luck with your wardrobe quest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it's so great, I also spend way too much time (and money) in the Fabric Store. I've imposed a ban on myself until I start using the fabric I already have!

      Delete
  3. Hi Rose, I want to sew this pajama. i found very interesting what you wrote about how the pattern fits your shape and that you needed to choose a bigger size. Which size are you using now for the top? Size 6 according to the measurement chart or one size up? Your pajamas are gorgeous. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I sewed a size 6 according to the measurement chart for the top but narrowed the seam allowance around the hip area for a better fit. Good luck with your pajamas!

      Delete