Monday 12 January 2015

//PATTERN MAGIC KNOT DRESS


One day last November I was perusing the sewing section of my local library when I came across Tomoko Nakamichi’s Pattern Magic. I’d seen this book reviewed here and there on the internet, and while the diagrams looked somewhat intimidating I got it out anyway.

The ‘Knot dress’ (I prefer ‘bow') immediately stood out to me; it was something I would actually wear, as opposed to some of the more, er, avant garde designs in the book.

And so this dress was born!


Pattern

This pattern was actually pretty simple once I read through the book and familiarised myself with the diagrams and what they actually meant. I’d assumed that I would have to use my own block until I saw the one at the back of the book which I photocopied and traced. This essentially made the whole process patternmaking-by-numbers if you will; starting with their block and moving the lines a few centimetres at certain points, and extending these lines out into a dress length.
The bodice was slash and spread to create space for the tube which the bow is tied from. It was a little fiddly trying to make the gaps even and then trace around them.

I stuck to the pattern in the book except for a few changes:

  1. I added around 3cm to the length of the bow tube
  2. I didn’t add the small pleats at the back of the dress as I thought it would be better without
  3. I shortened the length to one I’m more comfortable with (I think I took off around 10cms)
  4. I straightened the bottom hem
  5. Once I put the dress on I decided to take some fabric out of the sides as it was a bit billowy for my liking. I think I took off around 7cms from each side, which gave it a more A-line shape.

Pleat-less back of the dress

Sewing

The instructions in the book for sewing the dress consist of literally one line:
“Sew the bow section into a tubular shape up to point c”
This left me slightly confused. A bit of playing around and this explanation helped. The base of the tube has a tricky curve to get around and I handsewed this together first as it looked impossible to do with only pins, machine stitched it, and then I was away! The rest of the dress was pretty straightforward to put together.


Exposed zip and shoulder darts

Finishing

I used some binding I’d made a while ago for the armholes and neckline, and an old zip I had lying around for an exposed zip at the back. For the hem, I overlocked the edge, folded it up 3.5cms and stitched it. I didn’t want to add any stiffness by double folding the hem.

Yay vs Nay

Yay

  • The shape of the dress is really flattering. The bow over the bust adds detail while the rest of the dress skims the hips and comes out to an A-line shape. The pleat is also handy; it gives extra move-ability and is pretty cute!
  • The biggest yay for me about the dress is the fabric I used. Formerly a $6 duvet cover, I suspect it’s mainly polyester with a little cotton. This was partially intended as wearable muslin but because it turned out so well it’s been upgraded straight to a regular wearable dress! Using a duvet cover for the fabric of this was also really useful because the pattern requires heeeaps of fabric if you opt to have the bow tube all-in-one with the bodice as in the book (as opposed to a separate pattern piece).
My "crisp" bow

Nay

  • My bow came out nothing like the picture in the book. It was limp and sad so I had to tack it in place to keep it looking crisp!
  • I know that Pattern Magic is primarily for patternmaking, but more detailed sewing instructions would have been handy, especially since the sewing method isn’t totally intuitive.
  • The fabric attracts cat hair like metal to a magnet. I’ve had to invest in some sticky lint removers exclusively for this dress!

Wearability

Overall, I'm really happy with how this dress turned out. I wear it relatively often, and the old canbedressedupordown rule applies!




I've made a list of other things I want to make out of the book, including another bow themed top, the intriguing deppari shirt, and another version of this dress in actual dress fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment